University Registrar

Withdrawals from the University


                                                Withdrawing from the University

Withdrawing from the university means that a student has requested to withdraw from all courses for the current term.  The last day to formally withdraw from the university is the published last day of classes for the session enrolled.  Being dropped for non-attendance, for non-payment, and from a student-initiated request to be dropped  from all classes during the established drop/add period for each term or part of term shall result in the same consequences pertaining to academic and financial records.

To withdraw from the university:

  1. Students must obtain a “Withdrawal Form” from Enrollment Services in Victor Hall. 
  2. Students who receive financial aid, veterans’benefits, and/or those who reside in university housing must consult with officials from those offices and secure their signatures on the withdrawal form.
  3. Students must secure on the withdrawal form the signature, grade, and last date of attendance from the instructor of each course.  Instructors may assign a grade of W or WF at their discretion until the published midterm date for each term or part of term.  Any withdrawal after the published midterm date will result in a grade of WF.  Students who have withdrawn from a course during Fall 2012 or later will receive a WF for any subsequent withdrawals from that same course, regardless of the midterm date or the grade requested by the instructor.
  4. Completed withdrawal form must be submitted to the Enrollment Services Office(Victor Hall).

All students who withdraw from the university should verify their academic and financial records through the Port of Armstrong.  Any discrepancies must be resolved with Enrollment Services no later than midterm of the semester following withdrawal.  Withdrawals based on military obligations must include copies of supporting military orders. 


Hardship Withdrawal from the University


In the event a student faces circumstances of extreme duress beyond his or her control, the student may request a hardship withdrawal from the university. Hardship withdrawals are not meant to be used for appealing academic matters (e.g. grades), but should be used when a student seeks to drop all classes and leave the university for the remainder of that semester. Hardship withdrawals should fall into one of three categories: medical, personal, or financial. Students will be required to justify their withdrawal with documentation. On the rare instance that a student’s circumstances warrant only a partial withdrawal, thorough documentation will be required to substantiate why this student is able to continue with some coursework but not all coursework.


Hardship Withdrawal Process

All hardship withdrawal requests are submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs. A student seeking a hardship withdrawal will first go to the Office of Academic Orientation and Advisement. At this office, the student will be advised of the procedure for hardship withdrawal and will be given all forms. The student must pick up all required forms in person from the Office of Academic Orientation and Advisement. If circumstances prevent the student from coming to campus in person, then different methods for securing forms will be determined and implemented on a case-by-case basis. The student will return the completed forms for hardship withdrawal with supporting documentation to the Office of Academic Affairs. At this time the Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs will have the opportunity to discuss the application with the student as he/she sees fit. Decisions regarding hardship withdrawals will be handled in the Office of Academic Affairs.


A student seeking a full hardship withdrawal from the university must initiate the withdrawal process, complete required forms, and return all forms plus documentation to the Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs no later than midterm the semester following the withdrawal. A student seeking a partial hardship withdrawal from one or more classes must initiate the withdrawal process, complete required forms, and return all forms plus documentation to the Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs no later than the last day of class for the semester in which he/she is seeking a partial hardship withdrawal.


Financial Aid Implications

All students seeking either a partial or full hardship withdrawal are strongly recommended to make an appointment with a financial aid counselor. This is of utmost importance if the student has received any financial aid (e.g. scholarship, loans, etc.). The granting of a hardship withdrawal may affect the student’s ability to receive future financial aid and may greatly affect the student’s standards of academic progress. Students should be advised that the granting of a hardship withdrawal does not negate the effect of the Standards of Academic Progress or the Return of Title IV policies.


Hardship Withdrawal Documentation

Personal Statement of Hardship. The written personal statement of hardship should explain to the Office of Academic Affairs how and/or why the non-academic emergency impacted studies. It is essential that the student provide accurate details about the circumstances surrounding the hardship, date(s) of the hardship event(s), and an account of how the event(s) specifically prevented the completion of coursework. Each page should be initialed and dated, including a full signature on the last page of the document. In addition, the student will provide official documentation supporting his/her hardship. This documentation should be consistent with the student’s personal statement and all documentation will be verified prior to the rendering of any decision regarding the student’s hardship withdrawal.


Categories of Hardship and Documentation Requirements

• Medical (e.g. physical or psychological emergencies):

The student will supply a physician’s report on office letterhead. This document will include the physician’s name, address, phone number, nature of patient’s illness or accident, dates of treatment, prognosis, and the reason they feel that the student can no longer complete his/her coursework. This document must be signed and dated. A physician’s letter is the only approved documentation for hardship withdrawal under the medical category.

• Personal (e.g. severe medical illness within family, death in the family, arrests, etc.):

The student will supply appropriate documentation that builds a case for hardship withdrawal due to personal issues. These documents may include but are not limited to death certificates, obituaries, police reports, or physician’s letters. The student should obtain documents that contain contact information, are dated, and if possible notarized. All documents will be verified as seen fit by the Office of Academic Affairs.

• Financial (e.g. loss of sole-supporting job, mandatory job changes)

The student will supply documentation from an employer or supervisor that clearly states the mandatory change and the date that these changes took place or will take place. This document should contain contact information for an organizational representative that can verify these changes, preferably a human resource professional. The student’s inability to have financial aid in place at the start of the term is NOT grounds for hardship withdrawal due to financial issues.


SPECIAL NOTE: Application for a Hardship Withdrawal does not guarantee the student a grade of “WH.”


Withdrawal – Involuntary

A student may be administratively withdrawn from the university when in the judgment of the vice president for student affairs and the university physician, if any, and after consultation with the student’s parents and personal physician, if any, it is determined that the student suffers from a physical, mental, emotional or psychological health condition which (a) poses a significant danger or threat of physical harm to the student or to the person or property of others; or (b) causes the student to interfere with the rights of other members of the University community, or with the exercise of any proper activities or functions of the university or its personnel, or causes the student to be unable to meet institutional requirements for admission and continued enrollment, as defined in the student conduct code and other publications of the university.  Except in emergency situations, a student shall, upon request, be accorded an appropriate hearing before a final decision concerning his or her continued enrollment in the university.