Rehabilitation Sciences

FAQS - Communication Sciences MS

What is the minimum undergraduate Grade Point Average (GPA) needed to apply to the undergraduate major?

There is currently no minimum undergraduate Grade Point Average (GPA) needed to apply to the undergraduate major. However, a master’s degree is required to practice as a certified speech-language pathologist and a professional doctorate degree is required to practice as an audiologist. Graduate programs generally will not accept students who have less than a 3.0 grade point average for all college courses.

What is the graduate degree that Armstrong Offers?

The Communication Sciences & Disorders Program offers a Master of Sciences degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a major in Speech-Language Pathology. The speech-language pathology graduate degree program is designed to lead to professional licensure by the State of Georgia in Speech-Language Pathology as well as certification by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

Is the graduate program accredited?

The graduate program in Communication Sciences and Disorders is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) in Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

Is Armstrong on the quarter or semester system?

Armstrong is currently on the semester system.

Do I need a car/individual transportation during the graduate program?

Yes. Travel to and from campus as well at to educational sites are required of all students during all five semesters of the program. Students are responsible for providing their own transportation (and transportation related expenses) to educational sites for clinical practicum and course related experiences. Students are expected to travel throughout Savannah and the surrounding areas without exception.

How long does it normally take to complete the graduate program?

The Armstrong Communication Sciences and Disorders Graduate program typically takes 5 semesters to complete. The students will begin in the Fall and then continue taking courses for Spring, Summer, Fall, and Spring semesters consecutively.

What if my bachelor’s degree is in another field?

Students with a strong academic record in another field are encouraged to apply to the Communication Sciences and Disorders Graduate Program. In order to apply, students must take foundation courses not completed in their undergraduate program and 18 hours of prerequisite coursework related to speech and hearing. The foundation courses  include courses in biological sciences, physical sciences, statistics, and the social/behavioral sciences.
Students are also required to complete 18 hours of coursework to include the following courses (or equivalents as determined by Armstrong communication sciences and disorders program faculty): Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing mechanism, Phonetics, Normal Speech and Language Development, Introduction to Audiology, Speech Science, and Language Disorders. The foundation and prerequisite courses must be completed or in progress when the application is submitted. Students who plan to apply to multiple graduate programs should review the prerequisite courses for each Graduate Program.

What is the application process for the graduate program?

Armstrong is only admitting Graduate students for the fall semester, and does not offer rolling admissions.

  • For fall admission, the student application must be mailed to the Armstrong State University Graduate School and postmarked by January 15th. A non-refundable application fee of $30 (payable to the Armstrong State University) must accompany the application packet.
  • The contents of the application packet include: Letter of Intent,  (3) recommendation forms, official GRE scores, Armstrong Graduate School online graduate application, and the coursework form.
  • Students will turn in official proof of 25 observation hours of clinical speech-language pathology or audiology (signed by a certified speech-language pathologist or audiologist), proof of professional liability insurance, CPR/First Aid training certification, a background check, negative TB test, and health insurance documentation on the first day of orientation.
  • Original official transcripts from each university attended, regardless of length of attendance or number of credits, are to be sent directly to Office of Graduate Admissions / Armstrong State University/Victor Hall, First Floor/11935 Abercorn Street / Savannah, GA / 31419

The initial review process for completed files begins in February and takes approximately 6-8 weeks.  Admission decisions will be made in writing only.

Where do I send my college transcripts?

Two official college transcripts from all colleges attended should be submitted in sealed envelopes to:

Office of Graduate Admissions
Armstrong State University
Victor Hall, First Floor
11935 Abercorn Street
Savannah Georgia  31419

When is the application deadline?

Application requirements must be received and/or postmarked by January 15th.

What are the Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements?

A minimum GPA of 3.0 across all college level classes is required. This includes both major and non-major coursework.

Where do I register for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)?

Register for the General Test on the ETS Graduate Record Examination (GRE) website opens in a new window.

What are the GRE requirements?

Regular admission requires a score of no less than 145 on the verbal section and 141 on the quantitative section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Scores within 5 years of the application due date will be accepted.  (Equivalent scores on the retired GRE are also acceptable.)

  • For students whose second language is English, a score of 550 paper-based score or 100 computer-based score or better on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a score of 6.5 or better on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) may be substituted for the verbal GRE score.

How many observation hours are needed and can I get all of the hours by observing at the same place with the same person?

Students need 25 hours of observation from a variety of different sites. Only speech-language pathologists and audiologists who are ASHA Certified can supervise, approve, and sign your observation hours form.

Is financial aid available?

There is unfortunately limited funding available for students. In order to be eligible for financial aid, students must be enrolled full-time.  One option that students may look into is the McCormick Scholarship. You can obtain further information about the McCormick Scholarship on our website under Scholarships and other questions regarding financial aid can be answered by visiting the Financial Aid website.

How many students are in the graduate program?

The number of students accepted varies from year to year. Armstrong is expecting to have a Graduate Program class of 20 each fall.

How often are students in clinical practicum sites during graduate school and what sites are available?

Graduate students participate in a wide variety of clinical opportunities at a variety of practicum sites including: schools, pediatric hospitals, rehabilitation hospitals, nursing homes, long term care facilities, non-profit clinics, private practices, and the Armstrong RiteCare center on the university campus. It should be noted that the placement options change from semester to semester.

What time of day is Clinic held?

During the first year of graduate school, students are assigned clients in the university clinic (RiteCare Center at Armstrong). The clinic runs during normal business hours Monday through Friday and students can expect to have variable clinic hours during the day. During the second year of graduate school, students are assigned to off-site/external clinical practicum in the community. These clinical placements usually run all day Monday-Friday. Some weekends may be required.

What time of day are the graduate classes held?

Most graduate coursework is offered between 8:00 AM and 9:00 PM on Monday-Thursday. The schedule changes from semester-to-semester and students should not expect the same time and day schedule of courses for each semester.

Can I work full-time or part-time during the graduate program?

Students cannot work a full-time job during the 2 years of the graduate program. In addition to coursework students are also in clinical practicum assignments each semester. It is recommended for those students who are working part-time to have a job with flexible hours, which can be changed when needed. Students are also encouraged to seek employment on campus via work study or graduate assistantships.

Do I need to have perfect English pronunciation in order to apply to the graduate program?

The program policy regarding the speech-language competence of students in the program is consistent with the Technical Report issued by the American Speech Language and Hearing Association. All students, as do all speakers, speak with an accent and/or dialect. To ensure the equitable treatment of all students in the program, all students regardless of accent or dialect must be able to model the sounds and grammar of standard or mainstream English.

Will I be able to book a vacation for December, spring break week or summer now?  What dates will I not be in school or practicum?

The course schedule varies from semester to semester. Hours for each practicum site are specific to that placement. Students should not schedule a vacation without speaking with professors to determine the schedule for the final examination.In addition, students should speak with the practicum coordinator and practicum site supervisors regarding clinical responsibilities prior to making any travel arrangements  the practicum coordinator, and practicum site supervisor.

When can I visit the Armstrong graduate program in speech-language pathology?

Prescheduled graduate school presentations for prospective students  are offered throughout the academic school year.Individual meetings can be requested depending on the availability of the Communication Sciences & Disorders faculty. Please contact the program at the following number for further information: 912.344.2969.

I’m not a United States Citizen. Can I meet the accreditation requirements of my home country at Armstrong?

The Communication Sciences and Disorders Program at Armstrong State University provides training and education required to meet standards established by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA). The program does not guarantee that International Students will meet minimum requirements for accrediting bodies outside of the United States.