Coastal Savannah Writing Project
Coastal Savannah Writing Project Main Menu
University Hall 269
Coastal Savannah Writing Project (CSWP) focuses on the mission of improving the teaching of writing and improving the use of writing by offering high-quality professional development programs for educators, in the coastal region of South Carolina and Georgia, at all grade levels, K–12 and across the curriculum.
CSWP holds summer institutes in writing and reading to develop a leadership cadre of local teachers delivering customized in-service programs and workshops for local schools and institutions providing continuing education and research opportunities and support for teachers.
The Coastal Savannah Writing Project's professional development programs are tailored to suit the needs and interests of individual schools and districts. CSWP can provide interactive in-services during the school day or summer months, on-site coaching, assistance with curriculum and planning, Saturday workshops, and fall and spring conferences on the Armstrong campus. CSWP also offers GADOE-approved and registered Professional Learning Unit courses for certification renewal credit. A fee schedule is available upon request.
Included in offerings for professional development in-services, workshops and consultations are:
- Writing to Learn: Reader Response to Increase Comprehension of Complex Text & Meet CCSS in Reading and Writing- offered as 2 half-day or 1 whole-day session(s)
- Steps and Strategies for Teaching, not Assigning, Writing
- Strategies to Meet Common Core State Standards in Narrative Writing
- Teaching Memoir Reading & Writing to Bridge the Gap between Fiction & Nonfiction Reading and Narrative & Informative Writing
- Strategies to Meet Common Core State Standards in Informative/Expository Writing
- Strategies to Meet Common Core State Standards in Opinion/Argument Writing
- Teaching 6-Trait Writing (multiple-day workshop)
- Teaching through Writing Workshop
- Research-based Strategies to Teach Vocabulary and Word Study
- Teaching Reading Comprehension Strategies Across the Curriculum, Grades 5-12
- Implementing and Managing Reader Workshop
- Collaborative Reading & Writing to Engage Reluctant Readers & Writers and Build Classroom Community