Respondus LockDown Browser
What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized.
- Assessments cannot be exited until submitted by users for grading.
- Task switching or access to other applications is prevented.
- Printing functions are disabled.
- Print Screen and capturing functions are disabled.
- Copying and pasting anything to and from an assessment is prohibited.
- Right-click menu options are disabled.
- Browser menu and toolbar options are disabled, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop.
- Function keys are disabled.
- Source code for the HTML page cannot be viewed.
- Screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machine, and network monitoring applications are blocked from running.
- The browser automatically starts at the login page for the institution’s course management system.
- URLs cannot be typed by the user.
- External links don’t compromise the “locked” testing environment.
- Pages from the assessment aren’t cached or stored in Internet Explorer’s history listing.
- Assessments that are set up for use with Respondus LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers.
Ready to Get Started?
To Install Respondus LockDown Browser:
Known Issue: The latest JAVA update 1.6.0_29 does not work with the Respondus LockDown Browser on the newest Operating Systems for MAC (10.6 and 10.7). If you find that your computer has updated you will need to roll back to a previous version of JAVA or go to another computer to use the Respondus LockDown Browser.
For assistance contact the IT Services Helpdesk by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone: 912.344.2518