Victor Hall, Suite 104
11935 Abercorn Street
Savannah, Georgia 31419-1997
Armstrong Atlantic State University is approved by the State of Georgia as a training facility for veterans applying for VA Educational Benefits. The Armstrong Office of Veteran Affairs provides service to approximately 500 students attending the university.
- The Post-9/11 GI Bill/Chapter 33
- Montgomery GI Bill / Chapter 30
- Montgomery GI Bill / Chapter 1606
- Montgomery GI Bill / Chapter 1607
- VA Vocational Rehabilitation / Chapter 31
- Survivors and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program / Chapter 35
- Tuition Assistance -- Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard
- VA Work-Study Program
- VA Certificate of Eligibility
- DD-214 (if applicable)
- Kicker/Buy Up documentation (if applicable)
- College Fund documentation (if applicable)
This credit is applicable for new students accepted by Armstrong who have served in the U.S. military and who desire to have their military experience considered for transfer credit. Students have the option of accepting or declining 3 hours of transfer credit (PE 1000) for military experience which satisfy the Armstrong physical education requirement. Students must complete the required request form within their first semester of enrollment at Armstrong or the first semester of attendance after their eligible training. Students should submit official documentation of successful completion of military basic training (DD-214, JST or Community College of the Air Force transcript) with the required request form to the Veterans Affairs office.
Additional academic credit for military education may be granted for highly specialized academic training (e.g., foreign language schools) if applicable to the service member’s degree program. Students with a declared major may petition the Armstrong department head responsible for the course in question. Adequate documentation must be provided by the student and accompany each request. Proper documentation will include a complete syllabus of the course under review, school catalog, textbook description, and prerequisite track.
Proof of military service must be submitted to Enrollment Services (e.g., DD-124, AARTS, CCAF transcripts, etc.) along with the completed and signed form from the link below.
Military Transfer Credit Form
Students are responsible for paying all university bills. Armstrong and the VA do not have an agreement to process tuition/fee waivers; therefore, failure of the VA to pay students in a timely manner does not eliminate or delay students' financial responsibility to the university. It normally takes the Atlanta VA processing center 6-8 weeks to process new education claims, so please plan accordingly.
Armstrong's Office of Veteran Affairs does not process VA Advance Pay.
Veteran Students' Responsibilities
Veteran students at Armstrong have ongoing responsibilities to the VA. The Armstrong VA Coordinator closely monitors each student's enrollment status and academic program. The student's entitlement is based upon the number of credit hours for which they are enrolled.
- Have the Armstrong Notice of VA Student Registration by Term form completed by academic advisor and return to the VA Coordinator with a copy of a Schedule and Bill from SHIP.
Notify the Armstrong VA Coordinator if you:
- change degree program
- change schedule / ADD or DROP
- withdraw completely
- change address
Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 Monthly Verification
All students receiving Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 benefits must verify their monthly enrollment on the last day of each month or after. The benefit (monetary award) will not be released by the VA until this is done. Enrollment verification can be accomplished by using the VA toll-free telephone number 1.877.823.2378 or visit WAVE.
The purpose of this organization is to provide a college-based military veterans group dedicated to supporting the community, military members, fellow veterans and students.
- Any student who has honorably served as a member of the US Armed Forces,
- Students who are Active Duty, Reserve, or National Guard members,
- Students currently enrolled in ROTC,
- Students who are family members of current or prior service members,
- Students currently enrolled at Armstrong.
- No qualified student will be denied membership based on race, creed or national origin.
- Notice of Military Student Registration by Term (PDF)
- VA Policies and Procedures (PDF)
- Military Transfer Credit Form (PDF)
- Student VA Information Brochure (PDF)
Other Useful Links
- Board of Regents Information for Veterans
- United States Department of Veteran Affairs
- Georgia Department of Labor
- American Council on Education
- Questions about Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) MGIB
- Military Benefits
- VA Pay Rates
- Military News