Housing & Residence Life

Moving-In F.A.Q.


Do I need renter's insurance?

The Office of Housing and Residence Life very strongly advises that each resident carry individual renter's insurance for his or her personal property in the event of fire, flood, theft, hurricane, tornado, overflowing tubs, broken pipes, water main breaks, etc.

You must understand that Armstrong, the Office of Housing and Residence Life, or Educational Properties, Inc. DOES NOT and CANNOT protect any personal belongings against burglary, vandalism, fire, smoke, and other perils.

You must also understand that by not having personal liability insurance, you may be liable to third parties and to Armstrong, the Office of Housing and Residence Life, or Educational Properties, Inc. for certain perils which are covered by renter's insurance.

You may be covered by your parents' homeowner's insurance. Check with your parents' homeowner's insurance company to see what is covered and additional information necessary for coverage.

Can I see my room or place belongings into my room prior to opening/ move-in day? 

The Office of Housing and Residence Life cannot allow you to view your specific room or place items prior to the designated move-in days.  However, we will make every effort to have a model room available for touring during Navigate Orientation, Pirate Preview Open House, and regularly scheduled campus tours. The only model room that Housing has available during campus tours is a Windward Commons private unit.

What do I need to know about Hurricane Assistance?

When can I move-in to Housing?

Please review  Housing and Residence Life's Important Dates and Deadlines for all move-in dates. 

Can I move-in early? 

Housing and Residence Life cannot allow early check-ins for any reason.  

What do I need to do if I need to move-in after business hours?

When you get onto campus, call your resident assistant on duty to arrange a meeting point to pick up your keys. You must be cleared financially before our resident assistants can give you keys. 

What do I need to bring during move-in?

Please review Housing and Residence Life's What to Bring and What Not to Bring for details. 

What are the dimensions of my room? 

Please review the Floor Plan option for your area. 

What is the size of my bed? 

Twin Extra Long

Do I need to have my Armstrong balance paid for before I move-in?

Yes. You must have your Armstrong student account balance satisfied before Housing and Residence Life can provide you keys. 

What does having an outstanding balance mean? 

Having an outstanding balance means that your Armstrong account is not paid. If your account has pending Financial Aid, you owe the difference of the total and the Financial Aid awarded. You are responsible for the difference between the two before Housing and Residence Life can provide you with keys. 

How do I know if Financial Aid will cover by balance? 

Please review the What You Owe feature and your Student Financial Award Letter on your student SHIP account. 

What do I need to do if I want to change my meal plan? 

Email us at housing@armstrong.edu with all meal plan change requests. Please note that Housing and Residence Life can only change meal plans prior to the second week of classes per term. All request must be sent to Housing and Residence Life prior to the second week of classes. 

What is a Room Condition Report?

You must complete, sign and return a Room Condition Report at move-in to document any problems with the condition of the room when it is initially occupied. You will be held responsible for any damages to the room found upon move-out unless originally noted on the Room Condition Report; or a previously reported maintenance problem.

Rooms will be inspected again at move-out. You must be present for this inspection and to schedule this inspection before moving out. If the Room Condition Report form has not been completed and returned, the Office of Housing and Residence Life will assume that there were no problems with the room when you initially moved in.

The Office of Housing and Residence Life will maintain and repair the mechanical systems, plumbing systems, and appliances. Resident will be responsible for any costs that occur from misuse, abuse or neglect to the apartment or the premises.

What is my new mailing address? 

Your Name
Your Apartment Number
11935 Abercorn Street
Savannah, GA 31419

What does having a zero balance mean?

Having a zero balance means that all charges on your student account have been paid for. A student could have Financial Aid still pending. The student would be responsible for paying the difference of that amount prior to receiving keys.

How do I know if my Financial Aid will cover my balance?

You can review your outstanding balance and financial aid reward amount on your SHIP account.

Where do we go on move in day?

Student Union ballroom *subject to change

How do I get a parking decal?

We will have the Police set up in the Student Union at check-in. If you could after hours or on the weekend, please report to the Police station prior to checking-in so that they can supply you with a decal.

How much does a parking decal cost?

Parking is included in your housing fees if you are an on campus resident. You will receive your parking decal on move in day. If you are a commuter student you are obligated to pay $50 to get a parking decal from the police department.

Can I bring my own furniture?

Yes as long as you do not remove any of the assigned Housing furniture. You may, however, disassemble the bed and store it in your room if you wish to bring your own bed from home.

How do I know if I am sharing a bedroom with someone?

Housing will notify all students that are sharing a bedroom with another student prior to move-in.

Which bathroom is mine?

In Compass Point 4 bedroom, A and B bedrooms share a bathroom and C and D share. All other communities have a self explained bathroom system. You either share with one other person or you have your own bathroom.

Can I mail packages to myself prior to move-in?

Yes. Armstrong’s mail room will have a roster prior to move-in. If they have questions please direct them to the Mail Room 912.344.2820.

Will people be there to help me move-in?

Yes! We have a wonderful group of people that volunteer their time to help new students move-in to Housing every fall.

Will I be notified if my preferred room becomes available?

Housing and Residence Life has waiting lists for all room types. If a room opens up that you were unable to get into due to availability, you will be contacted via email if Housing and Residence Life can offer you your first preference. Our waiting listed students will be contacted the week after the advertised cancellation deadline if Housing and Residence Life was unable to honor their request.

What is the size of my shower curtain?

Windward Commons: Extra long
Everywhere else: Regular

Are shower curtain rings provided?

No. You must supply your own shower rings.

Where are the multi-purpose carts to help with move-in?

Windward Commons lobby, Compass Point Clubhouse, and the Crossings Office

When does my meal plan start?

All meal plans begin on move-in date.Please see Dining Services' hours of operations for more details on hours and menus.

What do I do if I want to check-in after hours/ weekend?

All first-year students are requested to checking on the first day of fall move-in. The mandatory first-year student Weekend of Welcome starts the evening of Thursday, August 14, 2014. More information will be sent out to each student.

Will Housing and Residence Life be open during move-in weekend?

Yes! Housing and Residence Life will start moving in students on Thursday, August 14.