Graduate Studies Main Menu
Employment Information for Graduate Assistant Supervisors
Hiring a Graduate Assistant
Students interested in an assistantship submit an application to the Enrollment Services Office (Victor 238). Supervisors may look through the applications to find students who may have the experience needed for their position. Supervisors then interview the selected applicants and notify the Enrollment Services Office when they have made a choice. Supervisors may also identify students through their department that they want to hire as graduate assistants. Supervisors should notify the Enrollment Services Office of their choice. All students who are hired as graduate assistants must fill out a GA application.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Be accepted to a graduate degree program at Armstrong with either regular or provisional status.
- Maintain at least an overall 3.0 grade point average on all graduate work attempted.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours of graduate coursework leading toward a degree. Graduate assistants may not take more than 12 credit hours per semester.
- Make satisfactory progress toward a degree as defined by the academic department. After all degree requirements for the planned program of study are met, a student is no longer eligible to receive a graduate assistantship.
- Graduate Students enrolled in online graduate degree programs are not eligible for assistantships.
- Non-degree seeking or transient students are not eligible for assistantships.
Renewal, Resignation, Graduation, and Termination of Appointments
Assistantships are ordinarily assigned on a semester-by-semester or academic year-by-year basis. An appointment remains in effect only if the student maintains good academic standing, makes satisfactory academic progress, and provides satisfactory service. Assistants are eligible for reappointment at the sole discretion of the unit based on past performance of the assistant, availability of funds and the determination of the need for services.
Should a student for any reason leave the assistantship appointment before the end of the contract, he/she may be responsible for paying all tuition for that semester.