First Year Experience Main Menu
Common Read Resources
- Resources from Lane Library
- Q & A about Andrew Delbanco's College, from Inside Higher Ed
- College: What It Was, Is, and Should Be, synopsis and author interview videos from the publisher
- Declining by Degrees: Higher Education at Risk
- It Takes More Than a Major: Employer Priorities for College Learning and Student Success: AACU National Survey Results
- TED talks: Ken Robinson's curated list of his favorite talks on education
- Video website: 'Junct: The Trashing of Higher Ed in America
- Liberal Education and America's Promise (LEAP)
- Dr Mendenhall: A History of Higher Education in Three Questions
- Dr Stone: Armstrong and the Changing Character of Higher Education
- Higher education should be promoted to all students as an opportunity to experience an intellectual awakening, not just increase their earning power
- What Will Your Verse Be?
Changing Education Paradigms
In this talk from RSA Animate that was shown and discussed at the Common Read event Nov. 14, 2013, Sir Ken Robinson lays out the link between 3 troubling trends: rising drop-out rates, schools' dwindling stake in the arts, and ADHD. An important, timely talk for parents and teachers. 'this talk'