Information Technology Services
Technical Requirements for Student Computers
The minimum computer requirements for Armstrong’s online and blended programs are provided below.
- Operating System: A Windows operating system is recommended. Windows XP-Service Pack 3, Windows Vista – Service Pack 2, or Windows 7- Service Pack 1 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle) ; Mac OS X 10.5 or higher
- Processor: At least 1 GHz recommended
- Memory: At least 512 MB of RAM recommended
- Disk Space: At least 1 GB free disk space is required for software installation
- Internet: Students must have regular access to the internet to connect to courses offered through Armstrong’s online and blended programs
Internet Browsers: Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari are preferred browsers for Desire2Learn. Internet Explorer is not recommended.
- For fewer problems during the semester, disable automatic updates on your computer and do not update your browser or Java until the semester is over.
- Mac Users: D2L supports Intel-based Macs. If you are using Safari, you should disable its pop-up blocker when using D2L. To disable the pop-up blocker, click Safari in the menu bar and uncheck Block Pop-Up Windows. Failing to disable the pop-up blocker may prevent you from completing some tasks in D2L, such as compose discussion board messages.
- System Check
- Compatibility Check: If you have already downloaded and installed the recommended internet browser, use this link to run a compatibility check .
- Minimum Bandwidth: 512 Kbps (DSL, Cable, or Satellite high speed connection)
- Plug-ins: The following plug-ins are required for online and blended programs: Adobe Reader, Java, QuickTime Player, RealOne Player, and Windows Media Player. Note: These plug-ins are available free of charge from the sites
- Software: Microsoft Office 2007 or greater is required
- Anti-Virus Software: Updated anti-virus software strongly recommended
- Sound Card, Microphone, and Speakers: A working sound card, speakers, and microphone required
- Monitor: A minimum 800 x 600 resolution required; 1024 x 768 resolution recommended
- Disk Drive: A CD-Rom drive required
- Printer: Laser or inkjet printer
It is recommended that all students configure their computer prior to beginning their courses. Check the configurations of your computer here.