Information Technology Services
Classroom Podium Operating Instructions
Important information to know prior to using classroom technology:
- ALWAYS remember to turn off the projector at the end of your class or whenever it is not in use.
- NEVER stand on the furniture to operate the projector manually.
- NEVER use a stick or ruler to operate the projector manually.
- NEVER EVER ask a student to stand on furniture for any reason.
Note: The computer, DVD and VCR are located inside the cabinet.
If you have trouble operating the equipment, contact the IT Services Helpdesk at 344.2518 and tell them you are in class and need help immediately. Someone will be there to assist you within 5 minutes.
To log into the computer:
- Make sure the monitor is on. If not, turn it on using the monitor power button.
- The computer keyboard and mouse is located in the drawer. Press the lock mechanism down and pull to open the drawer.
- The computer may be “asleep.” Try tapping the space bar or moving the mouse.
- If nothing appears on the monitor, then the computer may be powered off. Turn on computer power by manually pressing the power button on the front of the computer.
- To log in, you will need to use your Active Directory account.
- Once logged in, you can use the USB extension cable in the Cable Cubby also located on the podium overbridge to plug a USB device (flash drive, presentation clicker, etc.) into the PC.
To project from the computer:
- Make sure the computer is on and not asleep (see above).
- Press the ON/OFF button on the button panel located on the podium overbridge. The projector will respond with a single beep and will warm up for about 30 seconds before the image is projected.
- If the PC button LED light on the button panel is not lit up by default, press the PC button.
To project from an optional laptop computer:
- Use the VGA cable at the Cable Cubby located on the podium overbridge to connect to your laptop’s VGA port. If your laptop does not have a VGA port (if it’s an Apple, for example), you will need to bring the appropriate VGA adapter in order to connect to the projector,.
- Use the 3.5mm audio cable at the Cable Cubby to connect to your laptop’s headphone jack if you require audio.
- Use the network cable at the Cable Cubby to connect to your laptop’s network port, or use the campus wireless network, if you require using the Internet or the campus Intranet.
- If your laptop battery life is low, you can use the power adapter that came with your laptop to plug into one of the outlets provided at the Cable Cubby.
- Turn on the projector by pressing the ON/OFF button on the button panel. The projector will respond with a single beep and will warm up for about 30 seconds before the image is projected.
- Press the Laptop button on the button panel. The Laptop button LED will light up.
If you do not see a laptop image, try the following steps:
- Make sure your screen resolution is set to 1024x768 or 1280x768.
- Make sure your laptop’s video card is configured to clone the laptop screen to the monitor/projector (different laptops will require different methods but most newer laptops will be configured correctly by default).
- Make sure the VGA cable is securely fastened to the VGA port of your laptop.
- Try switching to PC or DVD/VCR at the button panel and then back to Laptop.
- If none of the above works, contact the IT Services helpdesk at 344.2518.
To project from DVD or VCR:
- Turn on the projector using the ON/OFF button on the button panel located on the podium overbridge. The projector will respond with a single beep and will take about 30 seconds to warm up before projecting anything.
- Once the projector is up, press the DVD/VCR button on the button panel.
- Insert your DVD or VCR into the DVD/VCR player located in the podium cabinet.
- You may need to manually set the DVD/VCR into the correct mode (DVD or VCR) by pressing the DVD/VCR button on the front panel of the DVD/VCR player.
- You can use the DVD/VCR controls at the button panel to pause, play, stop, fast forward, and reverse.
- NOTE: If you are showing a DVD, you will have better results using the built-in DVD player on the PC, than using the DVD/VCR combo.
- If you’ve tried the steps above and it still doesn’t work, contact the IT Services helpdesk at 344.2518.
- There is a volume knob on the button panel that controls speaker volume in the room.
If you are unable to hear sound coming from your device, try the following:
- Check your application volume (YouTube, Windows Media Player, VLC) control to see if it is set too low or muted.
- Check your laptop volume control to see if it is set too low or muted.
- If you are using a laptop, make sure the 3.5mm audio cable located in the Cable Cubby is connected to your laptop headphone jack (not your microphone jack...they look the same).
To play audio only:
- If you want to use audio only (maybe you are playing a track from your iPhone or other mobile device), you can do so by plugging the 3.5mm audio cable in the Cable Cubby into the headphone jack of your device, then press the Laptop button on the button panel (do NOT press ON/OFF first). This enables the speakers without turning on the projector.
- Turn the speakers off by pressing ON/OFF.
- This works similarly if you want to use audio-only from the PC. Just press the PC button on the Button Panel without pressing ON/OFF first.
Remember: Should you need help, contact the IT Services Helpdesk at 344.2518. IT Services has techs standing by from 8 am until 8 pm Monday through Thursday, and from 8 am to 5 pm on Friday who will be there to assist you within five minutes.
If you would like one-on-one instruction on how to use the equipment in any classroom, you can schedule a session by contacting the IT Services Helpdesk at 344.2518.