Information Technology Services
Google Groups for Business
Google provides distribution list capability through Google Groups. Google Groups for Business is replacing our current Mailman mailing list. (example: email@example.com) on February 18, 2014
How can I send to the Employees mailing list?
The employee listserv email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Messages sent to this mailing list are moderated by IT Services and only Armstrong related email messages should be sent to this address.
How can I send to the Student mailing list?
The student listserv email address is email@example.com. Messages sent to this mailing list are moderated by IT Services and only important Armstrong related email messages should be sent to this mailing list address. A biweekly newsletter is sent to the students with campus information and is the primary way to communicate with the students. Representatives of each of the departments should have access to submit an announcement for the student newsletter. If you need additional information about the student newsletter please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the Features for Google Groups?
Google Groups can be used to:
- Access Google Apps, including Google Drive, Docs, Calendars, and Sites
- Send mail to all users within a group
- Invite groups to calendar events
- Manage Google folders, documents, and resource permissions with groups
What are the options for a Group Owner/Manager?
- Owner/manager can subscribe or unsubscribe users
- Control group access
- Moderate email messages
- Daily digest capability
Where can I find Documentation and Resources?
Who can request a Google Group?
Faculty and staff provisioned with Armstrong Google accounts.
How can I have a Google Group set up?
Send a message to email@example.com with the following information:
- The name and department of the group owner (person to accept or decline invitations, if necessary). The owner of the group can add and remove members to the group.
- A descriptive name for the list. The format will be based on this format: [List name].[Group]. For example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
An IT Services representative will create the account and get in touch with you once it has been created.
How long can I use my existing mailman list serv?
The mailman list serv will retire on February 18, 2014 and the Google Groups for Business accounts must be used. All existing mailman list serv accounts have been converted to Google Groups and can be used at this time.