Academic Advisement

Dual Enrollment FAQs

Is it true that a 3-4 credit hour course at Armstrong is now equivalent to 1 Carnegie Unit at my high school?

Yes, beginning in the fall 2010 semester a 3-4 credit hour course now equals 1 Carnegie Unit. This means that for each 3-4 credit hour course you complete at Armstrong, you will fulfill 1 unit at the high school. Previously, courses fulfilled only .67 units.

Does being involved in Dual Enrollment mean I am an Armstrong Student? Do I get an Armstrong student ID?

Yes, you are an Armstrong student and should get an ID. Some of the benefits of obtaining a student ID include use of our library, admission to athletic events, and eligibility for local student discounts.

Is there a special application to apply?

The undergraduate admission application for Armstrong is used for Dual Enrollment admission. This application can be obtained from your high school counselor. There is a $25 nonrefundable application fee.  You may submit your application packet to the Office of Academic Orientation and Advisement located in Solms Hall, room 212.

How much does it cost? Are the books provided?

The ACCEL scholarship pays for tuition only.  Students will be responsible for the mandatory fees and books.  Students are also responsible for any laboratory fees for science and language courses and the parking decal.  The MOWR scholarship pays for tuition up to 12 credit hours and all mandatory fees.  It does not include laboratory fees, books, and the parking decal.

What if I'm only a few points off on my Math or Critical Reading SAT score but my overall score is still 1,000?

Although you earned a 1,000 combined SAT score (ACT Composite 21), you also must have a minimum Math score of 430 (ACT 18) and a minimum Critical Reading (Verbal) score of 530 (ACT 24). There are no exceptions.

What if I take the SAT again and do better in one area but worse in another?

Armstrong will accept the highest of the scores from any sitting of the SAT. If you earn a higher score on Math or Critical Reading in different sittings of the SAT, we will take the highest scores.

Will my SAT Writing score help me get into the program?

We do not use the Writing score to qualify students for admission. Only the Math and Critical Reading (Verbal) scores are used.

If I have a choice of taking AP courses or becoming Dual Enrolled, which should I choose?

This is a personal choice that you should discuss with your parents and your counselors. We recommend that you take AP courses in math if they are offered at your school prior to enrolling in any college-level math class.

How will the grades I earn at Armstrong be recorded on my high school transcript?

This is a question for your high school counselor. Each school system posts the grades differently on the transcript.

How will my Dual Enrollment GPA affect my Hope Scholarship?

Beginning with the fall 2011 term, the hours for which ACCEL payment is received will not be included in the HOPE Combined Paid-Hours limit.  The postsecondary credit hours taken as a Dual Enrollment student for which ACCEL payment was made are NOT counted as attempted hours and the corresponding grades will not be included in the postsecondary cumulative GPA for HOPE scholarship or Zell Miller programs.  However, the grades will count in your high school GPA and will count in your overall college GPA.

If I decide to go to Armstrong my freshman year will I have to reapply?

In order to update your status from dual enrollment to freshman, you simply need to submit a re-admission application and an updated high school transcript to the Office of Academic Orientation and Advisement in Solms Hall room, 212.

How many hours can I take?

Students who meet all requirements with a combined SAT score that falls between 1000 and 1090 will be eligible to enroll in one course (3-4 hours). Students who meet all requirements with a combined SAT of 1100 or better will be eligible to enroll in three courses (9-10 hours). You may appeal in writing to the Office of Academic Orientation and Advisement to enroll in more courses.

What kind of courses can I take?

There are approved ACCEL courses within the five core subjects of English, mathematics, social studies, natural sciences, and foreign languages. Your high school counselor and Armstrong's Dual Enrollment advisor from the Office of Academic Orientation & Advisement will help you select your courses. For a detailed view of the courses available, click here. Armstrong courses are listed on pages 9-12.

Can I attend in the summer?

The ACCEL Scholarship is only available in the spring and fall semesters. You may attend Armstrong in the summer, but at your own expense.

What if I didn't take the SAT?

We will accept the ACT, but you need to have scores from one or the other of those two tests.

I've heard that if I'm Dual Enrolled I could lose out on participating in my junior or senior year of high school. Is that true?

Your eligibility for extracurricular activities at your high school is determined by your school. Speak with your high school counselor.

Whom do I go to if I'm having problems, my high school counselor?

Though your high school counselor will always be willing and able to help you, Armstrong will provide you with an academic advisor in the Office of Academic Orientation and Advisement, 212 Solms Hall.

When is the deadline to apply?

Because there are materials you must secure from your high school, we advise you to submit your application no later than April 1 if you are applying for either the summer or fall semester. After your high school closes for the summer, it may be difficult to contact your high school counselor. If applying for spring semester, you should submit your application by November 1.